Just Passin' Through

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Oh the things we take for granted...

While in Honduras there are several things we cannot do or things we do not have that we can do or have in the states and it is the smallest things that we take for granted!!

Here is a list of a few:
1. FLUSHING TOILET PAPER!!! (It's amazing how much you miss it when you cannot do it!!)
2. Brushing your teeth with tap water...sure you can do this in Honduras BUT you WILL be sick!
3. Hot showers...I had ONE warm shower while I was there, the rest cold!! But I just kept telling myself there are so many who cannot even take a shower tonight and when they do get one its cold and usually dirty water!
4. Being able to wear flip flops where ever you go and not have to worry about a parasite!
5. Normal Driving compared to Crazy Driving in Honduras...this is really an understatement and you cannot understand it until your have experienced riding in Honduras!! Let's just say stop signs and lights mean nothing over there!
6. Family...there are so many broken families in Honduras that we see daily. It just makes me appreciate my family and friends more and more all the time.
7. My House! Most houses in Honduras are shacks to say the least. One room houses or cardboard boxes for families of 5-6. Knowing that I have a house to come home every night with a bed, food to eat, couches to sit on, AC/Heat, indoor plumbing, etc. Its the same things we seem to forget about that make a world of difference.
8. Health Care. After being at the hospitals in Honduras, I appreciate our heath care even more. I met one girl who had been in the hospital for 3 days waiting for an allergy shot! The doctors couldn't tell her exactly when she would get it!
9. My Job! Even if I do not always like it, I'm so thankful for it. It breaks my heart to know someone can work for minimum wage in Honduras and still not be able to put food on the table for their family.
10. Being able to order food at a resturant without having to just point to pictures or words! Also being able to specialize your order because the workers can understand what you want!
11. Being able to have pictures of our friends and family! When we would take picture of the kids over there they couldn't wait to see it. For some of them it was the first time they have seen themselves. Which seems absolutely crazy to us but its true!!

I'm thankful for the Country that I live in but I am also thankful for the third world country that I am able to go to help spread God's word!

No comments:

Post a Comment